Family Law: Changing Parenting Plans after Proceedings

Friday, August 24, 2018

Written by Norman A. Green

Categories: Family Law Child Custody Child Support

Comments: 0

Family Law:  Changing Parenting Plans after Proceedings

Once a divorce is over and parenting plans have been established, it’s still possible to modify a parenting plan through mediation or a judge. However, the procedure to make any changes can often depend on the state where the divorce was granted, so it’s important to consult with an experienced family law attorney for that state.

“Many people approach divorce with the attitude of getting it over as quickly as possible, and then later realize that they neglected something as part of the parenting plan. Luckily for our clients, our family law attorneys stay up to date on the various procedures required to make changes to a parenting plan after a divorce,” said Norman Green, Senior Partner at Green & Metcalf of Vero Beach, FL.

When it comes to making changes through mediation or the courts, there are benefits to each. Mediation is the cheaper and less-formal option, but both parents must be willing to compromise and abide by the outcome. For amicable ex-spouses, this may be a better option versus returning to the court, which may be the only option for ex-spouses whose bitter feelings for each other may dictate the need for the more formal courtroom setting to get the necessary changes made.

“Parents need to remember that even though divorce may be the best decision for them, they still need to consider what is best for their children. This consideration is what needs to be part of the eventual parenting plan that outlines how they will continue to raise their child separately yet together,” Green said.

Norman A. Green is the founder and a partner of Green & Metcalf - Attorneys At Law. He has over 40 years of experience in the practice fields of criminal defense and family law (divorce, child custody, child support, paternity, modifications of existing orders, prenuptial agreements and alimony cases).

Comments RSS feed for comments on this page

There are no comments yet. Be the first to add a comment by using the form below.